Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Breaking from dog rescue for a moment to return to humanitarian concerns.

Not too long ago, I volunteered with the Samaritans, who I hope to return to in a couple of weeks.  I'd like to volunteer in blocks of time of about a few weeks so that I have time in between to work on my usual tasks of editing and publicity.

Something that surprised me about the Samaritans was how mainstream and positive they are.  They seem conservative but with an open-minded, tolerant edge.  I want to assure you that they do not break any laws in performing their work.  Following the law is very important to them.  My prior work with No More Deaths made these traits more obvious.  Both groups are great and serve a good purpose, but their differences are noticeable and they have different strengths and weaknesses.  I'd have to say that I like the Samaritans' more cooperative attitude and philosophy, though it's a subtle difference from No More Deaths.  NMD's strength is in how cutting-edge it is in terms of tactics.  In the end, I decided to write about the Samaritans--their very name tells me that they're more my style.

The blog-style webpage I made was delayed due to some losses of data that I needed to fill it out, but I've decided to move forward with it anyway and take my lumps.  With each block of time I devote to the Samaritans, I look forward to learning more and bringing more to their table, and then reporting on the latest progress and happenings.  Click on the word "link" to open the webpage, which I'll continue adding to like a blog. (link)

No comments:

Post a Comment