Monday, April 2, 2012

Repeal the Main Gate Overlay: What's Next

The West University Neighborhood Association, along with a few other adjacent historic neighborhoods, ended up collecting almost 12,000 signatures for their petition.  The total amount of labor involved came to about 2,000 man-hours distributed among over 100 volunteers, most of whom turned down offers of payment for their legwork.  These data were announced on Thursday, March 29th at El Presidio Park next to City Hall in the presence of members of WUNA, other neighborhood associations, and other concerned citizens.  Someone also suggested that a coalition of neighborhoods be formed to give more of a voice to residents.  After all, if the City Council thinks it can just ruin a perfectly good historic neighborhood, evicting residents from their own houses, what's to say that the other neighborhoods like Iron Horse, Pie Allen, or Dunbar Spring would be any more immune?

I'd say that it was a victorious moment for WUNA!


As I promised, I helped to gather some signatures myself and promoted it however I could through my usual media channels.  So far, it's been an educational experience and I'm looking forward to more opportunities to help out.

No comments:

Post a Comment