Thursday, January 5, 2012

Efforts to Send Help to Philippines Flood Survivors


In order to expedite our implementation of our plan for humanitarian aid, I decided to go out on a limb and approach people in high places while we were on vacation in Scottsdale for New Year's weekend. On Tuesday the 3rd, we took a ride down to downtown Phoenix and visited the Episcopal Church's diocesan office at Trinity Cathedral. The goal was to meet briefly with Bishop Kirk Smith, the bishop of the Diocese of Arizona, and obtain his endorsement of the charity drive idea. I would later present this support to the folks I spoke with already in Tucson and we'd ideally be on our way to launching the plan.


Once we found the diocesan office, the bishop was actually engaged in a conference call, so his assistant met with us for a few minutes. I introduced myself, gave her my business card, explained the Exist Kind concept and TV show origins, and summarized the charity plan. She had some valuable information for us: Apparently, many, many people come to their office seeking endorsement along the same lines as us. Bishop Smith is very reluctant to endorse anyone's project for what I think are obvious reasons, and we may well not receive the assistance that we're seeking. However, she is willing to look over my portfolio, as long as I put it together concisely and cleanly for the bishop's ease of reading. She'll then turn it over to him for his review.


At first, I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to actually speak to the bishop in person and that the odds aren't good for getting his support. However, I then realized that this was all valuable information and may possibly change the plan for the better. At this point, I think what I'll do is contact my old acquaintance, the retired Reverend Allen Breckenridge of St. Philip's In the Hills, and review the project with him. Another point that Bishop Smith's assistant made was that I need to demonstrate my connection to the Episcopal Church. I grew up in the church and I worked as a sexton for one church, so the connection is there, but I need someone to vouch for my character and involvement. If my contacts at St. Philip's and St. Francis can do that, I'll return to the diocesan office and be in that much better a position.


Another alternative I'm toying with is a variation on a project I carried out years ago in Mississippi. I might send letters to several Episcopal bishops containing a short grant proposal of sorts. I'd be requesting donations from the church to send to the Philippines Red Cross and the money would be sent on behalf of congregation members from around the country.


So that's the latest on the flood relief project and I'll keep posting as I make progress. I still plan to tape a video clip discussing the situation and my ideas if any of them are reasonably successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment